Welcome to the HII Employee Portal

Search

HII Weekly News Digest, Aug. 29, 2025

Photo caption: Aviation Ordnanceman Airman Zoe Marquez, assigned to Strike Fighter Squadron 87, inspects a Carrier Air Wing 8 F/A-18E Super Hornet on the flight deck of the world’s largest aircraft carrier, USS Gerald R. Ford (CVN 78), July 24, 2025. Gerald R. Ford, a first-in-class aircraft carrier and deployed flagship of Carrier Strike Group Twelve, was built at HII’s Newport News Shipbuilding division. It is on a scheduled deployment in the U.S. 6th Fleet area of operations to support the warfighting effectiveness, lethality and readiness of U.S. Naval Forces Europe-Africa, and defend U.S., Allied and partner interests in the region. (U.S. Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist 2nd Class Mariano Lopez)

Download the pdf

Aug. 29, 2025

HII’s Weekly News Digest is compiled every Friday by the Corporate Communications team to summarize and highlight news stories of significance to the company.

Caudle Sworn In As 34th Chief of Naval Operations: USNI News reported on Monday that Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Daryl Caudle vowed to roll out an updated fleet design that will integrate emerging military technologies into how the service fights. Caudle’s comment came during his swearing-in ceremony held Monday in the Washington Navy Yard. Caudle specifically pointed to the use of “cutting-edge technologies, artificial intelligence, robotics and autonomous systems, resilient command and control networks, hypersonic weapons, advanced manufacturing and quantum-enabled sensing,” as areas the service will integrate into the fleet. DefenseScoop reported on Monday that Caudle took the reins from Adm. James Kilby, who had been serving as acting CNO since February. The president nominated Caudle, who was leading Fleet Forces Command, for the top job in June, and he was confirmed by the Senate July 31. WHRO reported on Thursday that Caudle told sailors aboard USS Harry S. Truman (CVN 75) that he plans to make his tenure as CNO about improving readiness and adopting a “sailor first” approach that pushes more authority toward rank-and-file sailors.

Pentagon Wants To Create 3-Star Sub Czar: USNI News reported on Friday, Aug. 22, that the Pentagon will place a three-star officer in charge of the Navy’s submarine construction efforts under Deputy Secretary of Defense Steve Feinberg. The officer will oversee the acquisition of all nuclear submarines and assume control of the submarine program offices currently under the Department of the Navy. The new direct reporting program manager position will answer directly to the deputy secretary of defense while coordinating with the secretary of the navy and the undersecretary of defense for acquisition and sustainment. Earlier this month, Breaking Defense reported that a similar program manager will also be in charge of several high-profile Air Force projects. The Pentagon usually delegates program management jobs to field grade officers with one- and two-star generals or admirals overseeing them, although some exemptions do exist. The White House has not yet nominated anyone to hold the job permanently, but regardless, a new “czar” position could mean the program executive officers report straight to the four-star admiral, resulting in certain civilian officials being cut out of the procurement chain and reducing red tape in the process.

Navy’s ‘Air Boss’ Supports Carrier Fleet: USNI News reported on Tuesday that Vice Adm. Daniel Cheever, the Navy’s “Air Boss,” said the service is committed to sustaining a fleet of at least 11 aircraft carriers and nine air wings. He called the carrier a visible symbol of U.S. power and deterrence, noting procurement plans for the next Ford-class carriers William J. Clinton (CVN 82) and George W. Bush (CVN 83). Under the current schedule, the service will purchase CVN 82 in 2030, with delivery scheduled for 2040, while it will acquire CVN 83 in 2034 for an expected 2043 delivery. Regarding the air wing, Cheever said the MQ-25 Stingray unmanned tanker will fly this year and begin integration with carriers in 2026. Seapower reported Tuesday that Cheevers believes readiness challenges remain, particularly with the management of the supply chain and sustainment, however, U.S. naval aviation is at its highest level of readiness in years.

Hanwha Vows To Invest $5 Billion in Philly Shipyard: Inside Defense reported on Wednesday that South Korea’s Hanwha Group plans to spend $5 billion and install two additional docks and three quays at its newly acquired Philly Shipyard to boost the facility’s output well beyond the two vessels it produces annually. Hanwha, which completed a $100 million acquisition of the yard in December, announced the investment strategy Tuesday following a christening ceremony for a national security multi-mission vessel built by Philly Shipyard for the U.S. Maritime Administration. Business Korea reported on Monday that if Hanwha raises the annual construction capacity to 10 ships, the shipyard is expected to evolve as a medium-sized shipyard with annual sales of $4 billion. The announcement comes as South Korea and the U.S. wrangle over a trade agreement that could create a windfall for U.S. shipbuilding. Reuters reported on Tuesday that South Korean President Lee Jae Myung announced during the christening ceremony that the country will invest $150 billion in American shipbuilding to meet obligations under a recently negotiated trade agreement between the two countries. South Korea’s industry ministry said 11 non-binding agreements were signed between U.S. and South Korean companies during Lee’s visit, in shipbuilding, nuclear energy, aerospace, gas and critical minerals.


Social Media Highlight Of The Week

Posted Thursday to HII’s Facebook page:

“As the Mississippi Gulf Coast marks 20 years since Hurricane Katrina made landfall on Aug. 29, 2005, HII’s #IngallsShipbuilding division is recognizing the resilience demonstrated by its workforce and honoring those who played a key role in restoring operations after the storm.

Read the full release here: https://hii.com/news/ingalls-shipbuilding-honors-20th-anniversary-of-katrina-with-stories-of-resilience/


Administration Considers Negotiating Stake In Defense Companies: CNBC reported on Tuesday that top Pentagon officials are considering whether the U.S. should acquire equity stakes in leading defense contractors. In an interview, Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick specifically pointed to Lockheed Martin as a target, although he noted that the government should rethink how it finances munitions and other defense capabilities in general. The Wall Street Journal reported on Tuesday that if companies request the government’s assistance with a business transaction, especially with foreign countries, the president may propose a stake in the company in exchange. Politico reported Tuesday that Lutnick said a key decider whether the government will intervene is if the country is adding “fundamental value” to the business in question. Fox News reported on Tuesday that Lutnick’s comments come after the Trump administration last week announced that it would take a roughly 10% stake in chipmaker Intel by investing $8.9 billion in the company’s common stock. Lutnick noted that the secretary and deputy secretary of defense are considering the economics behind such an arrangement.

HII’s Weekly News Digest is produced by HII’s Corporate Communications team and posted to MyHII every Friday.

Please note: Social media is blocked on HII computers for most employees. Employees are encouraged to visit HII’s Facebook page and other social media sites on personal time and from non-work devices.

Send feedback to: HII_Communications@hii-co.com.

RELATED NEWS